Towing a Tiger

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Towing a Tiger
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:54:04 EDT
Here are my final comments on towing.

plain ol'  mayf

  When you take your foot off the gas pedal, you are loading the gears in the
"wrong way" exactly as in towing. As to the drive shaft balancing, did you
never have a drive shaft fabricated? They are balanced out of the car on a
machine.

 Correct Plain ol' mayf.

Theo Smit

Since it's the countershaft that sits in the transmission oil, there is no
oil splashing around or circulating, and you can overheat the needle bearings
between the gears and the mainshaft and any other place where the friction
might
be fractionally higher.

 Correct Theo Smith.

Dave,

It's fine as long as you don't exceed approx 55-60 mph, otherwise you
get an almighty oscillation from the rig that increases in both period
and frequency if you attempt to accelerate out of it,

Maybe Dave.

I haven't had that problem, even at 75 to 80 MPH, but it might have something
to do with the weight and wheel base of the towing vehicle.  We did find that
on the return trip pulling the dolly at 75 MPH without the car, the dolly was
in the air about 60% of the time. I assume that saved on the tire mileage.

Dave again

You also don't want to drive into a spot that has no drive through exit.
Backing this rig up takes more than skill, it takes heavenly
intervention!

Correct Dave!!!

You must plan ahead. It's a bitch to disconnect the dolly and try to back the
Tiger through a McDonnell's drive through with not enough clearance.

Dave again

I think the need to remove the driveshaft began with towing cars with
automatic transmissions: many of the old versions had no "back-pump", so
the transmission had no oil circulation when it was on the over-run.

Wrong Dave Read Smit's response.

Dave again

And of course, it is possible to hook-up the driveshaft with the
u-joints out of register if you aren't paying attention. That's my
understanding of why you need to mark the flanges. Not a balance
problem.

Wrong again Dave.

What register? There are drive shafts with register but not in Sunbeams. You
can get the register out of index when you have a spline between the input and
output flanges of a drive shaft but the Tiger driveshaft has the input and
output flanges welded to the drive shaft at a zero angle to each other.

John Logan