Nitrogen Enbrittlement (acid manifold porting)

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Nitrogen Enbrittlement (acid manifold porting)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:13:20 -0700
Recently I got the idea to port out the cast exhaust manifolds. Knowing that
there are areas (most in fact) that a grinder can't reach I was considering
using acid to clean/enlarge the exhaust manifold ports. Well, nothing is new
under the sun and an internet search had hundreds of "you can'ts" regarding
rules about cheating in stock car racing that require stock, unaltered intake
and exhaust manifolds. However, a "how to" was nowhere to be found. One guy
did comment on nitrogen enbrittlement and I know that this has come up
regarding chrome plating on the Tiger list.
 Any chemist types out there that might care to comment. I likely would use
pool acid  - IF - I go through with the process.
Tom Witt B9470101