Re: Rear End Gear Ratios

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear End Gear Ratios
From: mmcbeth@peacock.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:40:49 -0700
Okay, I'll chime in. I have a 3.07 limited slip differential with a stock
close ratio gearbox. This is behind a built 306 (dyno'd at 345hp). This is
an acceptable arrangement, but not ideal. The original 2.88 gearing was a
serious problem at the drag strip; I either bogged coming off the line at
too low RPM, or madly spun if I revved it up. The slightly lower gearing
is not too annoying on the highway, and allows better stoplight
departures. The limited slip does away with unintentional wheelspin.

I think a wide ratio 4-speed would be significantly better, but might go
right to a five speed as I like to cruise the highway at ultra-low RPM.
Neither one is the highest priority though, so it may be a couple of
years.

Michael