Fuel mileage, distributors, etc.

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel mileage, distributors, etc.
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:32:16 -0500
Hello All:
I noticed a comment by Theo in the discussion of obtaining better mileage
with our cars about using vacuum advance on a distributor.  I had, for a
long time, a Mallory dual-point distributor on my car.  It had only a
mechanical advance on it.  A couple of years ago, when I had the engine
rebuilt, I converted the old Mallory to a Petronix setup, still with just
the mechanical advance.  I don't drive my car a whole lot, and don't pay
much attention to fuel mileage, but am now wondering if I should be using a
vacuum advance as well.  I think I understand why vacuum advance is good
for economy, but I would appreciate it if someone would explain it once
again.  If converting over to a mechanical/vacuum advance setup is
desireable, what would be the easiest (i.e. cheapest) way?  The rest of my
ignition system is stock.  Thanks again, as always, for any input.
Tod
B382002384LRXFE