Re: Fuel mileage, distributors, etc.

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Fuel mileage, distributors, etc.
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:45:00 -0800
Bob is 100% correct in that the vacuum advance mechanism hose should
only be connected to the carb mounted port below the throttle plate.  At
idle, small throttle openings, and down hill off-throttle positions the
manifold vacuum below the throttle plate is at it's highest, and the
engine is under practically no load. The tube is isolated from the
outside atmosphere.  It can take a lot (20 degrees crank angle) more
advance with no harm, and increase in fuel economy.

Most non throttle position vacuum ports are located on the manifold and
always read manifold vacuum.  There may be carbs with two small vacuum
port tubes, I am just not aware of them.

Never let "never" be said, however, as some remote carb builder, for
reasons I don't know, might have put one above and one below the
throttle plate(s) .  Use the one just below the throttle plate.  Closed
throttle, high vacuum, high advance.  Staged reduction in vacuum to
equal atmospheric as throttle opens.  This happens relatively quickly.
Put plug on tube not used.

Steve

--
-----