Re: inter-club

To: pirouette@charter.net
Subject: Re: inter-club
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:04:17 -0800
Pirouette (cph),

Clever and funny. Only we already use Ammonium Per chlorate (ACTIVE salt
oxidizer), aluminum, and synthetic window sealant (polyurethane).  Sand
would add no energy, and erode the nozzle even more than the 6000 deg
blast already grinding it away.  Besides, the Great Salt Lake has an
overabundance of SEA SALT, which does NOT oxidize and burn with fuel.
It would have been good for fishes and gulls before they evaporated all
the water in an attempt to re-create the Dead Sea.  Maybe they could
find some ancient scrolls, in English this time.
:-)
All in fun.  No disrespect intended.

Cute post.  Besides, I spent 40 years in that business, and retired 7
years ago, after launching the Cassini Saturn satellite for JPL/NASA
with a TITAN rocket.  It finally just arrived.  Talk about a long commute.

You can't count on anything, anymore.  The first pictures back from
Saturn's rings brought astonishment from the scientific community - "We
never thought that Saturn's rings looked like that".  Now we just landed
on one of Saturn's moons, TITAN (would you believe!), and the scientific
communities first comments were - "We never thought that Titan's surface
and atmosphere looked like that".  (All true).

Add that to the prize winning genius, Stephen Hawking (Cambridge
University), bound to a wheel chair from a motor neurone disease, is
world famous, and recipient of many awards, for his long standing
theories on "Black Holes, the Universe, and Everything". He is the
author of the popular book "The Universe in a Nutshell". Well, he just
announced that he now believes his black hole theories (that he became
famous for) were wrong!

How brave of him to come forward.  Nobody really understands black holes
or his explanation, anyway, and would challenge his writings. So, who do
we have left to believe in?  Well, Albert Einstein's theories are still
holding water, and producing products. What next? Heisenberg's
Uncertainty Principle isn't so uncertain?

Our next project would be to fly through a black hole, in the inter
dimensional ship "Tiger", and find out.  If we ever get a message back!

There is nothing so uplifting as to see this forthright honesty.  Wish
there were more like that. It will not hinder "staunch believers without
evidence" from unflinching devotion to beliefs without validatable
foundation, however.  Just wait until the next elections.  Heck, you
don't have to wait, they are at it already.

Steve (hopeful, but pessimistic) Laifman