Re: Alper VIN plates, eBay Tigers, etc.

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Alper VIN plates, eBay Tigers, etc.
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:53:54 -0600
Theo:

Please forgive me if this subject has already been addressed.

The "LRO" suffix on a Tiger serial number, as you correctly pointed out,
indicated that the car was a left-hand drive (L) roadster (R) destined for
the "home" market (O).  However, that "home" market didn't necessarily mean
just good ol' England.  One of my best friends here in the OKC area has a
very late Mk1 that he has owned for thirty years with the "LROFE" suffix on
the serial number.  He bought the car back in 1974 from a good friend of his
who had purchased it from a returning American service man in Germany.  The
"home market" referred to Europe as a whole, rather than just to England.
Our guess is that the car was originally sold in Germany, where they drive
on the right side of the road.  Hence, the left-hand drive designation.

Hope this clears this little Tiger tidbit up for you.

Take care,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK