Re: Alper VIN plates, eBay Tigers, etc.

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Alper VIN plates, eBay Tigers, etc.
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:57:50 -0600
>J.D. Johnson wrote:

>I thought I read that (L) indicates left hand drive for export >and (O)
> indicated home market specification.

Hi, J.D.:

Well, I may have inadvertently opened a can of worms (I can just see Norm
laughing his ass off right about now...).  Rather than to miss-state
something or stick my foot further into my mouth, I went to my copy of the
source of Tiger facts, "The Book of Norman."  On pages 13 and 14, Norm gets
into a discussion of actually what the suffix of a Tiger serial number
actually means.  For the purposes of our discussion, here's what he says:

L  =  Export (L.H.D.)
R  =  Roadster
O  =  Standard Specifications

He goes on to reveal that "Standard Specifications" means the use of amber
upper tail-light lenses (which is what my friend's car had before he changed
them), badges that say "Alpine 260" (which is what my friend's car has)
rather than "Powered by Ford 260," a flash-to-pass signal light switch, seat
belts with a shoulder strap, etc.

I suggest that if there is going to be a discussion like this, we should
bring Norm into it.  I don't profess to know as much as he does; not by a
long shot.  All I can tell you is the story of my friend's car and what we
surmise it's history to be.  J.D. may have a point here with his observation
of what the "L" means.

So, in light of this, what say you, Norm?

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK