Re: Shifter ergonomics

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Shifter ergonomics
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:27:52 -0700
I would concur with Stu. Though everyone is built different and has their
own preferences the short shifter seems impractical.  O.K., granted it's 5
years and I have still yet to drive my Tiger, I have sat in the car many
times plotting out the ergonomics. I'm 6 ft standing up and a long waisted
equivilent 6' 4" sitting down. You would think that this would give
sufficent arm reach for the short shifter, but it is more like "Winsor
Palates" with a "Roving Eye for the Mirror Guy" situation.
 "Someday," when I get to actually driving this hobby I will create a
shifter to suit my driving style. A while back I picked up a bench seat
Toploader shifter on Ebay for like $5? I'll bend/cut weld it together (won't
keeping open the reverse cable hollow center be fun) and have just what I
need.
 I'm sure that there are some short legged, long armed, like to sit close to
the steering wheel Tiger owners out there, but for most the short shifter
comes up "short" of being practical.
Tom Witt  B9470101

> Before you all jump on the short shifter bandwagon, consider this:
>
> I drove a "short shifter" Tiger a few years back, and it quickly became
apparent why they changed to the long shifter.  For me anyway, the short one
was just too far down for comfortable operation.  I have the seat most of
the way forward, and even with that, I had to lean a bit to reach the whole
pattern.

> So try shifting by grabbing the standard shifter about half way down a few
times, and see how that feels.  The short one may look cool, but is
uncomfortable operation worth it?