Re: Fan Question

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <Veeseeoso@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Fan Question
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:47:35 -0700
Henry,
  I have often had the same thought.   I would assume in an ideal situation
the engine and radiator are matched, as well the fan size/speed properly
regulated for a near constant temperature regardless of factors. I would
also think that the temperature differential (hot engine, cool radiator
created by slow flow) would not be the most applicable for todays modern,
multi sensor engines (though not applicable to the Tiger).
   It is interesting how all the "Tiger Factors" work regarding cooling
function. You have a limited size radiator, a limited sized fan (due to the
steering rack), a cramped engine bay that inhibits removal of heated air, a
frontal area that limits driving flow to the upper radiator, and a car and
owner that are likely to drive in a manner that produces excess heat!
 Think of all the things that have been tried: Thicker radiators, fans with
more blades and pitch, electric pusher fans,  fan shroud modifications (full
shroud), high flow water pumps, LAT style vented hoods and or cut wheel well
venting. One other thing I didn't mention yet was the recirculating of
heated air through the horn openings. I have thought that instead of
blocking them off a curved duct should be created to force the air outwards
towards the turn signals (while the car is stopped). Sort of like this - -
the ducts being the   /   and   \  (hope it comes out):
                       Radiator
           I  ( )============( )  I
           I   /                             \    I

  It would also create a venturi effect at speed to force air through the
radiator, allow an additional source of venting hot air when stopped (by
ducted away from the radiator). I'm not sure of the effect on the horn
opening at speeds.
  This coolant issue would actually make a great Science Fair project. I'll
keep it in mind for my son next year. By the way, if you will allow me....
(proud Pop), my son won 1st place in the Junior Engineering catagory at the
Ventura County Science Fair for his "Underwater ROV."
   He also received three special awards: the Junior Engineering award from
the American Society of Naval Engineers, the Junior Division Award from
NAVSEA Warefare Center and the Grand Overall award from the Naval Facilities
Engineering Service Center. Of course like most 13 year olds he always is
taking my tools and never putting them back!!! I guess it's the same give
and take we experience with heating issues in small, powerful car like the
Tiger.
 Regards, Tom Witt