UPDATE: Clutch slave cylinder over extending.

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: UPDATE: Clutch slave cylinder over extending.
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:48:07 -0700
Hello all,

Those of you with loooong memories, might recall that the clutch slave
cylinder over extended one evening about 1.5 years ago.  It dumped all the
fluid on the ground and left me stranded.

Well, I figured out the root cause this week.

When I pulled the transmission out of the bell housing, the release arm fell
into the bottom of the bell housing.

The sheet metal L shaped pivot bracket was fractured into to pieces.  There
were signs that the release arm had been using the Al housing as the fulcrum
for pivoting.

A year and a half ago, the bracket fractured and this allowed the entire
release arm to move rearward about 1/4 inch at the pivot.
Taking up that play explains why I had a couple of pedal pumps with very low
resistance and then all the fluid ran out.

It feels good to know why it failed.  Now I have no qualms about sticking
with the stock system for good.  No hydraulic throwout bearings for me!

Erich