Re: Non-Tiger Battery Question

To: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>, Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Non-Tiger Battery Question
From: stubrennan@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 20:04:22 +0000
Your battery holds how many amp hours?  60? 70? 80?  A Blazer probably has a
fairly large one.  So how long is the trip, timewise?  Can you estimate or
measure how much the ignition, computer, fuel pump, etc draw?  Yeah, the
starter will take a chunk of charge out ot it, but probably not too much.  For
example, if you are drawing 30 amps,  in theory you have about 2 hours worth of
charge in a perfect 60 amp hour battery.   Reality is probably somewhat less,
but probably not half.  Stay out of traffic jams so your electric fan doesn't
come on, as those can draw a bunch  of amps.

My guess is that you should make it easy.

I had to do this same calculation in my head on the entrance ramp to I-95 in
Portland Maine, as my Tiger's generator died, when heading home to Wrentham,
MA, right on the RI border.  A 3 hour drive, all interstates..  I could see on
my ammeter that I was only drawing a couple amps with everything off, so I
pressed on and made it with no problems.

Stu