Re: Brake Booster

To: Caseyh4312@aol.com, rfraser@bluefrog.biz
Subject: Re: Brake Booster
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:22:23 EDT
Sorry Joey about the late response.  Heading back to Peoria
and I'll be sans internet until Friday.  Wish I had access to
see the responses to my GT comment.  I love to stir the
list once in a while.

When undoing the end of the vacuum can, undo all but two
screws. Usually the end is stuck to the can.  Loosen
the last screws and the go somewhere that you don't mind
brake fluid on.  Use a screw driver and gently pry the end
off.  You will the get a large gush of brake fluid.  Look Out.
Its a great paint remover and will do wonders to you car's
finish or your kitchen table.  Once empty, you follow the
instructions to the letter.  Use the finest available steel
wool (0000) or 2000 grid sandpaper to hone the bores.
The inside of the booster can must be as smooth as a
baby's butt.  You can't smooth it too much.  Some owners
have coated or chromed the inside surface.  The plunger
must slide freely inside the can.  Try and remove all the
brake fluid from the leather plunger seal (bloat with paper
towels) and then lube the seal with Girling's red rubber grease.

If you bores are not gouched (discolored is OK) you should
be successful.  I have rebuilt three and so far after 15 years
no leaks. As the tech tip says, I scrubbed my unit with soap
and water and a toothbrush and then rinsed thoroughly with
water.  My teeth tasted funny for days.

Remember the brake fluid is a great paint remover.  You must
wash you hands after getting some on them before touching
anything else.