Front wheel seal question

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front wheel seal question
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:13:34 -0500
Hey, guys:

I've got a question concerning the differences in front wheel seals between
the early cars (Series I & II) and the later cars (Series III-V, Tiger).  I
understand that the wheel seals are the same ID and OD on all the different
Series and Tigers, but the Series III and up Alpines and all Tigers had a
"cone extension" on the back of the seal (the metal part that sticks out of
the back of the hub).

I've been told that I can't run the later model seals in my Series I vintage
racer and I'm just wondering why that is, since the early seals seem to be all
gone these days.  What is it that keeps you from being able to use the late
"cone-type" seal on an early car?  I have a spare Tiger front end (just in
case, heaven forbid, my Tiger got crashed) and, if there was something I could
swap out and put on my Series I Alpine racer, maybe it would be worth it to
keep from having to modify the late model seals to fit.  Can anybody with some
experience with this area of the cars shed any light on this for me?

Thanks a bunch,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK