RE: Front brake caliper replacement

To: "'PHILLIP SILK'" <musta32188@msn.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front brake caliper replacement
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 01:14:59 -0400
Phillip
        Rebuilt Tiger calipers will work just fine.  They are a 2 piston
design which is better then most of the single piston with slides type
caliper on most newer cars.  The only minor problem with Tiger calipers is
the rather small brake pads.
        Rebuilding the stock calipers is not that hard and even though they
tell you not to break the caliper open you can do so as long as you are
careful of the mating surfaces and the rubber o ring seal.   Rebuild kit are
available and so are stainless steel pistons, if you need them.

        I bought the vented rotors from Dale's which has a shim piece to
widen the caliper.  No problems and no leaks, everything works.

        Fox or SN95 Mustang brake parts would give you a larger pad but it
is a single piston with slide pins type caliper.
When you brake hard you tilt the caliper because the slide pins have rubber
bushings and they give to much.    You need to install stainless steel
bushings for the slide pins so they can not deflect as much.   I would think
you need to machine up some adaptor parts to make these work on a Tiger.

Ron Fraser