RE: squealing

To: "'Theo Smit'" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>,
Subject: RE: squealing
From: "Joe Brown" <jbbrown3@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:45:35 -0500
I have a 1995 Jaguar XJ6 that had a similar symptom.  It tended to squeal at
startup and then quieten down after a while.  The belts all seemed okay but
I replaced them anyway. That only made the problem worse, so I started
checking the Jag Lovers website (www.jag-lovers.org) and found out that this
is a common problem.  It turns out that at startup there is a bigger load on
the alternator which makes it harder to turn and the belt slips on the
pulley.  The fix was to tighten up the belt more.  Jaguar has some kind of
strange tools for measuring the deflection of the belt to check its
tightness but basically you have to tighten it until you can barely move the
belt with your finger.

Of course, none of this may apply to Ford engines.

Have Fun,
Joe Brown