squealing

To: "'fastsage@cox.net'" <fastsage@cox.net>
Subject: squealing
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:56:13 -0400
Steve,
Belts in time tend to glaze and when they do they tend to not "grip" the
pulleys as well as when new. It could be that the extra load from the AC is
causing a differential load on the belt running the AC than the one actually
turning the water pump and the resulting noise is the AC belt slipping on
the water pump pulley. It could be that there is not enough wrap around the
drive pulley to ensure good grip or if there is it could be that the pulley
is highly polished.  The real correction...provided the pulley is in good
shape ... would be to replace the belt. Failing that some Belt dressing ...
or in a lurch a bar of soap... will quiet the belt. I would recommend the
new belt first though and my guess is that the water pump is OK. If you are
going to replace the water pump I would go with an Edelbrock pump to avoid
high RPM eating of the pump bearing.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings
23961 Via El Rocio
Mission Viejo, CA   92691
Off: (949) 305-5393
Fx: (425) 955-6268
Cell: (949) 289-3357
email: timothy.ronak@akzonobel.com
VM: (800) 234-6747 ext. 2257#

This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy,
forward and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without
permission of the sender.