RE: T-5 Rebuild

To: <Carmods@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: T-5 Rebuild
From: "Frank P. Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:00:42 -0700
John,

Thanks for the info and link!  Do you mean .020" clearance between the
blocking ring and the synchronizer assembly?

Frank, looking at all those parts going round and round, in Cloverdale

As long as there are enough teeth material on the Syncro. Blocking ring
left, a little chewing is alright. What effects the syncro is the wear on
the cone material of the blocking ring. You can check the clearance between
the blocking rings and their mating gears with a feeler gage. If you have 0
clearance the syncro is shot. I don't have my inspection data with me now
but I would say if you have less than .020" clearance you will have limited
life depending on how you drive. Third gear usually wears the fastest.

 T-5's are easy to rebuild and you can down load a manual from
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techarticles/t5rebuildmanual.pdf

I've never rebuilt the non-World Class T-5 but since it has less roller
bearings to install it may be easier. To replace the third gear syncro, you
will need tools to press the gears off the output shaft and an uncanny
ability to keep track of all the parts and their order on the shaft.

John Logan