T-5 Rebuild

To: itswonderful@comcast.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: T-5 Rebuild
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:25:03 EDT
In a message dated 6/26/2005 11:52:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
itswonderful@comcast.net writes:

<some of the teeth on the brass syncros looked a little chewed but not too
bad.  How bad is bad, appearance-wise, for a T5 synchro?  What else should I be
looking for to determine the health of this gearbox? Oh, one more thing, how
hard is it to rebuild one of these boxes?>

Frank,
Frank,

As long as there are enough teeth material on the Syncro. Blocking ring left,
a little chewing is alright. What effects the syncro is the wear on the cone
material of the blocking ring. You can check the clearance between the
blocking rings and their mating gears with a feeler gage. If you have 0
clearance the
syncro is shot. I don't have my inspection data with me now but I would say
if you have less than .020" clearance you will have limited life depending on
how you drive. Third gear usually wears the fastest.

 T-5's are easy to rebuild and you can down load a manual from
_http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techarticles/t5rebuildmanual.pdf_
(http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techarticles/t5rebuildmanual.pdf)

I've never rebuilt the non-World Class T-5 but since it has less roller
bearings to install it may be easier. To replace the third gear syncro, you
will
need tools to press the gears off the output shaft and an uncanny ability to
keep track of all the parts and their order on the shaft.

          John Logan