Re: Radiators and Fans

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radiators and Fans
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:17:18 -0400
I, too, have installed a Maine Radiator (hey, I live in Maine!) and they do
list a replacement for the Tiger in their literature.  I have had good
results, with my breathed on 260 running at 180 F (thermostat temp) on the
highway.  Last Saturday, I took the Tiger out for the Warren Day
Celebration (big deal here in Maine) parade in a 90 F ambient.  Crawling
along behind the tractors, cub scouts and everything else, it got up to
200F but didn't puke.  Cooled right down when I was able to move along.  I
have mounted a Derale fan and have blocked the horn openings, but no other
mods.  The Derale fan has about 1/3 of its depth outside the shroud and the
face sits about 3/8 in behind the radiator.  A tight fit on a stock setup
(original generator, water pump hub, etc.)  I am convinced that the crucial
arrangement is having a good part of the fan inboard of the shroud so that
it can dump the air being moved into the engine compartment and not just
spin it around inside the shroud.  I tried two other fans which fit inside
the shroud before the Derale with lousy results.  The Derale made all the
difference.  The other part of the equation would be to move the air out of
the engine compartment quickly.  I have not heard of an elegant solution to
that dilemma.  As a result, the air inside the engine compartment will find
any path it can out of there.  Many have noted that, at idle, some of the
(heated) air drawn through the radiator exits through the opening in the
bottom of the shroud to be recirculated through the radiator which, of
course, doesn't help the cooling.  Apparently blocking that path has helped
in some cases.  FWIW, when I first got my Tiger back in '66, I installed an
outside temperature gauge in the opening in the dash where the clock
usually goes.  It's a mechanical gauge and I have the probe mounted on the
sheet metal below the front bumper.  When my car is at rest, the gauge
reading will begin to climb very quickly as a result of the air flow
exiting out the bottom of the shroud and can reach quite high temperatures.
Tod
B382002384LRXFE