Tiger overheating problems

To: <MACHWIL@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger overheating problems
From: "MSN" <w_pierzga@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:26:00 -0400
Bud:

In an ideal world everything would align perfectly according to the best
"theories". Clearly, life ain't perfect.

I had major heating problems in my restored MkII despite having done
everything I could think of and taking heaps of advice. I have solved the
heating problem big time and now actually find the car has difficulty
maintaining "ideal" operating temperature.

The fan in my car is quite far forward and just clears the radiator. The
rear of the fan just protrudes from the shroud. I had to actually bend the
fan blades toward the back to satisfy myself that they would not hit the
radiator. I am using a stainless flexible-blade fan I purchased from Summit
a few years back (Flex a lite - cost $30). The fan blades come very close to
the upper radiator hose and would in fact hit the hose if I did not tie the
hose to the engine block.

By far the primary cause for Tiger engine heat problems is lack of adequate
air flow through the radiator. The Tiger does NOT need a better radiator
(unless of course yours is clogged).

I have tried every imaginable method for ensuring air flow through the
radiator. In the end the best method I found was a simple pusher fan located
in front of the radiator. I tried a variety of these fans and found one that
really works well (some might say too well). I am running a 12 inch straight
blade pusher fan from Summit (Summit brand - cost $70).

The pusher fan is modulated by a thermal switch that fits into the stock
radiator drain petcock, which is manufactured by Vintage Air - cost $12.

The combination works. I can now idle in traffic all day in 100 F Maryland
summer weather (99% humidity). I cook but the engine is just fine. Once
driving faster than about 35 mph the air flow through the radiator is
adequate to keep things cool (in my case actually cooler than "ideal"
operating temp especially on sub 80F weather).

Good luck,

Wayne