Re: spring compressor

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spring compressor
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:44:17 -0700
Richard,
  I would agree with Dave (so you have a second opinion).  Granted I was
using slightly shorter CAT springs, but I must have had them in/out 20 times
trying to configure the ride height.  In my case it was the upper ball joint
that I left loose anticipating the need to remove the springs.  Basically,
while on jackstands, I just put the jack under the lower control arm,
loosened the upper ball joint and slowly released the jack. Nothing went
flying and I felt safe.
   Of course you do this at your own discretion in regards to safety, but I
personally never had a problem.  Frankly I get more leary about the
compressed spring sitting out than I do this method.  If you have stock
springs, they may be longer and thus, it might be slightly more difficult.
Also, since I was in the "put it back mode"  such things as tie rod ends and
brake lines need to be considered by you.
 Tom Witt