Trunk

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trunk
From: "Holt, Jeff" <jeff.holt@gs.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:01:58 -0400
Someone closed my trunk in a way that makes it so it won't open. I was told
when I bought the car that the underside hinges were a little tight and to
not let anyone else close it, and to close it gently. Well unfortunately, I
let someone go over the car without supervising the gentle closing of the
trunk part. Anyway, it won't open now, for anybody.  I didn't see them close
it, so I don't know if it was a hinge problem, but my guess is that they
tried to close it too fast and somehow it torqued the trunk hood in a way
that it latched, but not at the right, or exactly right spot. Maybe forward
or back from where it should be. It doesn't look like it's seated right. The
tolerance on the sides of the lid are off just a bit, (high compared to the
body). So I think it is grabbing something that is not the latch, since I
can push the button, and nothing happens. No release. But if it is wedged in
something, it is wedged GOOD. The guys that did it said it happens all the
time to them and that I could just go through the trunk to get it open. Any
thoughts? How tough is it to wiggle into the trunk from the soft top
compartment? I don't want to scratch the paint by prying it open.

Jeff Holt
Jeff Holt
Goldman Sachs & Co.
via BlackBerry Wireless