Re: Sunbeam Talbot Supreme 90

To: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>, Tigers List <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Talbot Supreme 90
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:25:56 -0400
Hi,

This car is a four seater convertible (Drophead Coupe) and has a 2267
cc engine and the VIN is not on the intake manifold but stamped into
the block just below the head gasket at the #1 cylinder spark plug.
It is likely a 1953 model from the VIN you posted previously. The
engine number and the chassis number (VIN) were the same. This car
you describe is the same as the black four seater drophead coupe you
can see on my Sunbeam Talbot web site www.sunbeamtalbot.info and
click on Introduction on the left.

They were a very elegant and expensive car in their day and won the
Monte Carlo Rally in the early 50's. Take a look at their victories
under the "Competition Achievements" section.

Later,
Bob

At 11:59 AM 3/23/2006, drmayf wrote:
>Well,  I went and saw the car for the first time. At first blush you
>would say holy s**t because it looks awful. Then you start looking
>at it. The interior is 110% shot and gone away. Makes it easy to
>start over, eh? But the body is inreally good shape, just light
>rusting from sitting somewhere in a desert environment. A friend
>took some photos for me and I will post them tomorrow. The grill is
>bent. The engine is HUGE for a 4 banger, around 4 litres I think. I
>saw the vin number on the intake manifold so it appears to be all
>together. It has independent front suspension so it is later than a
>1951, possibly a 1953 as one lister said. Car is 99.5% complete as
>far as the metal stuff goes. The top is long gone. But I can see the
>cool potential in it. Nope it is not mine, nor is it gonna be. I
>have a race car and a Tiger that eat all my time and money already.
>Oh, and Buick 5 on 5 wheels fit... As to condition, it is a new car
>compared to the alpine which became the beginnings of the world's
>fastest sunbeam (wannabe).
>
>mayf

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
Sunbeam Talbots - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon, 1953-1954
Sunbeam Talbot Web Page: www.sunbeamtalbot.info (or .org)
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca or robertach@ca.inter.net