RE: Alternator conversion

To: "'Larry Allbritton'" <larryall@pacbell.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternator conversion
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:01:49 -0400
Larry
        I did a conversion a few years ago and one of the problems I wanted
to solve was the wire mess at the regulator.  I discovered that you can
disassemble the voltage regulator and make it into a junction box.  If you
have an old regulator laying around; it is the perfect candidate for this.

        You remove the internal point contacts and springs on the 3 relays
and you remove the resistors on the bottom of the regulator.   Now use a VOM
to check that the 3 lug connectors are isolated from ground and that the
center lug is isolated from the other 2 lugs.   You now have a Dummy
Regulator, a junction box, to attach the wires.   The 1st and 3rd lugs are
internally connected by a large cooper wire; there should be continuity.
The center lug can be used for the ignition warning light.

        The wires all go back on their original lugs except the small NY ign
warning light wire.

Regulator posts         Wires

        A                       Large NY wire; attach to feed line from the
Alternator

        F                       Small NY wire; this goes to the ign warning
lamp
                                Small NG wire; attach to Alternator ign
warning light lug

        B                       2 N wires

        Adding a voltmeter and/ or an ammeter is your choose; both provide
good information.   Follow the stock wire harness diagram for the ammeter.

Ron Fraser