Electric fuel pump safety

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric fuel pump safety
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:18:01 -0400
    The September issue of Auto Restorer has an interesting discussion about
electric fuel pumps and safety issues in an accident.

Here is the email I sent to Auto Restorer.

  Electric Fuel pump safety for older cars is an excellent topic of
discussion.

The oil pressure switch to activate the fuel pump is definitely one good way
to address the problem.

    Today's vehicles all use an Inertia Fuel Shutoff Switch to shut the fuel
pump off in an accident.   Inertia switches are readily available; they can
be bought new or used.   The Inertia switch is generally mounted in the
trunk area with easy access and near the fuel pump.   The switch is then
wired in series to the pump.

    I have seen manufactures wiring diagrams that place the Inertia switch
on the ground side of the pump and on the 12v feed side of the pump.    I
vote for locating the Inertia switch on the 12v feed side of the pump; that
way there is no chance the pump will find a ground after an accident and
start pumping again.

    Possibly the ideal system will incorporate an oil pressure switch to a
relay to the Inertia switch to the fuel pump.   The oil pressure switch
would shut the pump off if the oil pressure drops off.   The Inertia switch
will shut the pump off in case of an accident.

Ron Fraser