Re: Brake Light switch

To: rfraser@bluefrog.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Light switch
From: PhastPhill@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:07:27 EDT
Bought a brake light switch for a 67 mgb. Thought it would be the same, yes
the Beck  Arnley catalog said they would be and the guy I bought it from
thought they would be the same.....Not quite. The one on my MKII took a 1  in
socket to come off and was 3/8"dia thread with 24 threads per inch, no  taper.
One
for the MGB was  1/8 NPT 27, that's pipe thread  that  is about 4 thou bigger
than 3/8 and 27 threads per inch. 7/8 socket to fit but  the same 2 wire push
connectors. well it's mon and I want to drive the car  to a show this weekend
and if I order from NY or Cal I won't have it in  time. Customs boarder
etc.The switch only cost 14 dollars CDn so i figured  rather than returning it
I'd
try something else. The NPT size is a few thou  bigger so i took a die and
recut the threads on the switch to 3/8 24 tpi.  Material is soft and cut
easily,
looked like pretty good threads so put on a new  washer and a new crush washer
just to make sure no probs around the shoulder of  the switch and put it on.
Brake lights work now and does not seem to be a  leakage prob. Did not tighten
it super tight just screwed it in and wrist  tightened it enough to seat the
crush washer nicely. I think I will order the  right one for future but this
should do for now. I have not road tested it  as I shifted the alternator over
for access, but have stomped the brake  pedal a bunch and can't see any
leakage. If your going to buy a switch, I guess  you should have a thread gauge
and
your vernior caliper with you. Mine was 3/8"  with 24 threads per inch. We
live and learn, now to get the alt back on, that  bottom bolt on the adjustor
bracket is a bitch, can't see it have to feel  it.....lol.....cheers