Re: Brake light switch

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Brake light switch
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:17:19 -0700
Tom,

The switching mechanism (contacts) are mechanical.

The brake hydraulic fluid moves a synthetic rubber small internal
diaphragm against the mechanical switch.  Yes, the diaphragm can
deteriorate, and no longer move.

The hydraulic fluid side could get crudded up by hydraulic fluid
contamination, the seal of the diaphragm could fail and allow fluid onto
the electrical contacts.

There are British and American brake light switches like this, with
varying straight / pipe / whitworth threads that are NOT safely
interchangeable.

The mechanical type brake pedal switch was on my Mustang steering column
area, near the pedals.  The Tiger switch is original.

All last a long time, excepting rust, fluid contamination, incorrect
replacement.  All have their good and bad features.  All should last a
long time.  Using the switch to operate a relay will certainly allow the
internal contacts to last longer, with small current, however there will
be a small relay switching time delay.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman