Re: Speedometer Trouble

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Steve Sage" <fastsage@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Trouble
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:17:58 -0800
Steve,
 I recall a while ago there was an issue with cables. In this case it was
the inner cable was too long. When tightened it forced pressure against the
speed-o bearing surface and caused the internals to wear QUICKLY. You may
try (at your own risk) to loosen the cable at the rear of the speed-o. Drive
the car and see if it helps. Be careful not to back it out too far because a
whipping cable may show similar characteristics.
 I'm just guessing, but I would think the old speed-o internals may have
worn prior to making the new cable for the 5 speed. Thus, if any internals
were replaced (or adjusted) the receiving end may be protruding further out
the back and causing the inner cable to put pressure on the bearing surface.
Whatever you opt to do don't drive it long if it isn't operating properly or
you are likely to damage it.
Tom Witt