Re: Speedometer Trouble

To: Ron Fraser <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Trouble
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 15:57:57 -0700
Yes.
I bought a couple of VDO stepper motor based speedos (on eBay) a few
years ago, so that I could do such a thing. It's currently about fourth
or fifth on the list of things to do so far as Tiger electronics are
concerned. The VDO mechanics are bigger than the original speedo's but
it would require custom electronics anyway, so repackaging will be a
minor part of the whole project. A large part of the challenge would be
to either accommodate the stock tripmeter / odometer setup, or else
change it over to LCD or LED display. The problem with the latter is
that the correct size and pitch of digits is not commonly available.
Using the stock tripmeter and/or odometer arrangement requires making up
a solenoid drive to tick the first digits over.
Either way it would be a trick project and since I've got a Ford speed
sensor sitting on the shelf right now, it will happen sooner or later.
There are just lots of things that have to happen sooner.

Merry Xmas all,
Theo