Re: Spare tire tie down plate

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spare tire tie down plate
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:25:37 -0800
Yes, I also concur with Peter in that the spares are in different location
on the Tiger and Alpine. My understand was that it was done to move the
weight rearward for traction and lower for handling as well as offset the
weight of the Ford V8. I also believe the Mark II used this space in the
lower tire well for the electric fuel pump relocation (?).
 I would think the movement though is debatable and likely a trade off even
if more rearward weight was gained (I would think marginal). Cornering with
the tire mounted to the rear is a disadvantage regarding the polar moment of
inertia. Ideally all the cars weight (though not practical) should be
between the front and rear wheel base. Perhaps the high mounted gas tanks
(with a high CG) infulenced moving the spare to the floor.
 Regarding your inquirery, The piece is one of the rare Tiger specific
parts. It may be reproduced, but I don't know. There may be more value in a
"mangled" original spare hold down than a none original replacement. There
are others on the list that know better that I (I am just available and need
a break from the mundane).
Tom Witt