Re: What the heck????

To: "Ronak, TP \(Timothy\)" <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>
Subject: Re: What the heck????
From: "R Smith" <max348@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 13:58:22 -0400
Tim,

It has to do with my rocker arm bolts continuing to loosen up? It has happened
twice so far.

After my cam swap ( hydraulic to solid ) I up-dated my rocker arms - 1.6 Jegs
brand, along with having the heads re-built. ( 351w )

After getting everything back together I was basically driving it for the
first time when one of the poly-lock nuts on the pasenger side started to back
off causing a strange ticking noise & a sudden loss of power... ( this was @
3000rpm )

After nursing it home & spending some time figuring out what happened, I
re-set the valves, again MAKING sure that I was 100% positive that every last
rocker arm-nut was set nice & tight. ( originally I figured maybe I just some
how missed tightening that particular nut )

Anyway - after everything was put back together, I took it out for another
test-run. Down the street, through the neighborhood, everything seemed fine.
Oil pressure was good, temp was at 190 deg, and no strange ticking noises so I
decided to take it down a back-road & open it up a little. I got on it through
third gear shifting around 5500rpm at each gear. When I hit third I basically
just let off the gas & listened to the motor as I decelerated. When I got back
down to around 2000rpm I heard the ticking again - It sounded exactly like
what had happened the first time so I decided again, to just nurse it back
home at low rpm's. I didn't realize the extent of the damage until after I got
home & opened up the hood. ( lovely )

After a closer inspection I noticed that the poly-lock had completely come off
the stud & that is what grenaded my valve cover. Upon disassembly I also
discovered that the failure caused the push-rod for that rocker to be bent
slightly as well.  ( GOD only knows what else is damaged )

I called Jegs tech department to see if they had recommendations as to why
this keeps happening & basically the tech figured that I'm just not getting
the poly-locks tight enough? Although I'm quite SURE that I HAVE been, I'm
going to give the guy the benefit of doubt & crank down on them a bit more. He
also recommended giving the nut itself an additional 1/4 turn after setting
the allen head set-screw. I'm concerned though that that's just going to screw
my lash setting all up...

Thanks for the concern,

Rob