RE: What the heck????

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What the heck????
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:10:09 -0600
Hi Rob,
You should make sure that you're not getting anywhere near a
coil-binding situation on your valve springs, and that your cam ramps
aren't too steep for the valve springs. Running up to 5500 RPM for a
stock valve train is probably near the destruction limit.

I had (in my past life) a built-to-the-nines Toyota 2T-C, basically a
small four-cylinder pushrod Hemi. The first thing to always let go if I
exceeded the valvetrain rev limit were the pushrods - they'd leave the
adjusters and then when the lifter came back up they'd bend. This engine
had shaft-mounted rockers so that part of the valvetrain was way
stronger than the pushrod... If the rockers had been stud mounted I'm
sure I would have shot them through the valve cover.

Theo