Re: [Tigers] Still trying for wheels...

To: R Smith <max348@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Still trying for wheels...
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:15:29 -0600
Hi Rob,
If  you're not too concerned with getting OEM backspacing, then probably
the easiest thing to do is to drop plumb lines from the inside of the
rear fender lip on each side of the car, at the top of the arch. Measure
the distance between the plumb lines. Allowing about 1/2" (or whatever
your expected sideways wheel movement is) on each side for clearance,
you reduce the measurement by one inch, and that is where you want the
outside shoulder to be, which will more-or-less align with the outside
bead location of the rim, depending on your wheel/tire combination. Take
off one wheel width measurement, and that's the track you want. Measure
the track on your Jaguar rear end, and the wheel offset is then half the
difference between the two track measurements. Make sure you get the
positive/negative offset thing right... It might be less error prone if
you use backspacing measurements instead.

There is quite a bit of room laterally in the Tiger rear wheel well, so
unless you are going for the widest possible wheel/tire combination you
will have some room to adjust the lateral spacing of the wheels. If you
want to have that option then order your wheels with 1/4" to 1/2" more
positive offset than your widest-possible track measurement indicates.
You will need to have long enough studs on the rear hubs, as well as
some good-fitting spacers, to do this.

One indirect datapoint: I put 39mm offset, 2005 Mustang rims (16x7) on
my Tiger using custom machined, but otherwise stock offset, rear hubs.
With 1/4" thick disc brake hubs and no other spacers, the wheel/tire
combination cleared the leaf spring by about 1/16". This is obviously
too far inboard, but I made 1/2" spacers to get things a bit closer to
reasonable, and I could go another 1/2" without any concern about
hitting the outside fender lips.

Good luck,
Theo