Re: [Tigers] Russo and Steele: Best Dam Car In The Auction

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Russo and Steele: Best Dam Car In The Auction
From: "Jeffrey Nichols" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:40:59 -0500
After perusing all the cars listed, and this is my opinion, I think the
$250.000 Sunbeam Tiger is one of the least desirable cars in the auction.  For
my money, the 1986 Pontiac Fiero Smokey Yunick Coupe is the one to bid on.
Here is a description of the engine: "the most significant advance in engine
technology since the original concept of the Otto-cycle Internal Combustion
Engine. To further quote CJ Baker, 'The car now gets more than 50 miles to the
gallon, develops 250 HP and 230 foot pounds of torque, runs more smoothly than
any 4-cylinder you've ever experienced, has no computer controls, passes
Federal Emissions Standards and oh yes 0-60 MPH in as little as 6 seconds
flat!".  Talk about gas mileage; 50 miles to gallon and 250 hp from the Iron
Duke!

Smokey developed some type of engine add on installed on the car.  Here is the
quote: "Included with this Smokey Yunick Hot Vapor Fiero are templates that
Smokey designed to build the Hot Vapor tubing lines, and spare exhaust
manifold and homogenizer."  I wonder if this can be included with the 100mpg
carb that the oil companies killed back in the day.

One more unique  feature are the tires. And I quote: "  This Fiero is running
another of Smokey's inventions - the 'run silent' (or 'Bald Eagle' as he
called them) tires. There were only 100 of these tires produced by Goodyear,
and while they were not on the original Fiero, Tony had a complete set and
decided to use them. They are much like front tractor tires, basically having
vertical slices cut into a slick. These slices are half an inch wide, crossing
the entire width of the tire. They are exceptionally quiet and all you hear is
wind from the Fiero slicing through it."   Seems to be the ultimate high
performance tractor tire.

This car is chock full of automotive innovations that any car geek would love
to own. Plus, Smokey Yunick was world famous as owner of the "Best Dam Garage
In Daytona Beach",  in addition to his racing exploits.

                                                                  Jeff