Re: [Tigers] Tiger Gas Mileage

To: "tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Gas Mileage
From: "Mark Rense" <kneedrag@core.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:27:37 -0500
To add a couple more data points to this thread, I can compare my two very
differently tuned Tigers:

Tiger 1:
B382000991:
Built 289 (Edelbrock Performer + heads, KB high comp pistons, Comp Cams 282
grind, F4B, Edelbrock 500 cfm carb, Pertronics ignition, stock exhaust
manifolds, stock air cleaner with K&N element, and 1 3/4" exhaust), 3.23
rear end, 205/60-13 tires. Car was rear wheel dynoed at 245 HP.

Logbook mileage on interstate (3200 rpm @ 70 mph) = 19.3 (average of four
trips, all over 100 miles in length)

Tiger 2:
B382001465:
Stock 260 (stock points, carb, exhaust, intake etc.), stock 2.88 rear end,
195/60-14 tires.

Logbook mileage on interstate (2850 rpm at 70 mph) = 21.1 mpg (average of
two trips, both over 400 miles in length)

The stock car is a more relaxed ride at freeway speeds, so I tend to cruise
it at faster speeds. The interesting thing is the mileage of the high output
car, being so close. I attribute that to the engine having a higher BMEP,
being more thermally efficient, and for better carburetion. I like the
Edelbrock carbs for their tuneability, I played with the needle jets until I
got a partial throttle leanness and good response when the foot goes deeper
into the loud pedal.

For another data point, my brother's well-modified '91 ZR1 Corvette, a
veteran of several Big Bend road races, still gets close to 27 mpg lugging
along at 85 mph (minimum allowable speed on I-35 in Texas). At that speed,
the engine is loafing at 1800 RPM in 6th gear.

Now when they can make a full-sized pickup get 25 mpg towing a car trailer,
I'll be first in line to buy!

Bugz