Re: [Tigers] Gas Mileage & diesels

To: <gswaybright@yahoo.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gas Mileage & diesels
From: "Scott Hutchinson" <shutchin@netjets.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:58:57 -0500
Here's a question for you engineer types. Is the diesel engine more efficient,
or does diesel fuel just have more energy in it?.

I know that the reason we use lbs for the fuel quantity indication in jet
aircraft is that the fuel has variable density but a lb of fuel has about the
same amount of energy in it. Ie we can go about 6200 nm miles on about 40000
lbs with adequate reserves. Jet A will require slighly less total gallons of
fuel to make this than jet b. Jet b is a little closer to gasoline on the
cracking tower.

It is permissible to run a jet engine on gasoline in many cases. In this
situation you will burn more gallons, but about the same amount of lbs.
Gasoline weighs about 6 lbs per gallon and Jet A about 6.7.

As a side note most manufacturers put a time limit on how long you can operate
gasoline becuase it wears out the high pressure fuel pumps.

Anyway diesel is very close to jet A. A little heavier I think.

Scott Hutchinson
Assistant Director of Operations
Netjets International

Office 860.292.1191
Mobile 843.290.2805

Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you
may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message. If you have received the message in error,  please
advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message.