Re: [Tigers] vibrating shifter

To: <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>, "tiger list" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] vibrating shifter
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:54:01 -0800
I think Owain was describing an annoyance that my car has and to clarify:
this is a buzz in the shift linkage that is definitely engine RPM related.
Running up through the gears revving the engine in neutral or cruising at
high RPM (all cruising is high RPM with a four speed!) the shifter makes a
sizzling buzz. Resting the hand on the shifter makes it go away.

The responses so far seem to gravitate to a drivetrain imbalance issue.
However, my experience is that driveshaft/u-joint/trunion problems would be
vehicle speed, not engine speed sensitive. Problems with the
clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing being out of balance would certainly be more
likely related, but in my case, I have a brand new clutch and I'm pretty
confident it's in good shape.

I would think this would be more a matter of the shift linkage joints/clevis
pins being worn and loose, or perhaps the internal linkage of the "T" handle
reverse lockout rattling inside the tubular shift lever, or something along
those lines.

Thoughts?