Re: [Tigers] vibrating shifter

To: owain.lloyd@gmail.com, 'tiger list' <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] vibrating shifter
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:18:27 -0800 (PST)
Owain- everyone has has excellent suggestions. In the
days of 3 speed(non Tiger) a bad piolet shaft bearing
would cause the tranny to jump out of gear.Hopefulyy
the last person to install aclutch also changed the
piolet shaft bearing. I think witha Tiger if you pull
the engine to replace the clutch/ TO bearing etc that
you should replace eveything and closley inspect the
ring gear at the same time(they can be turned ove Im
told)and replae it to. The balance of the drive shaft
will create the same problem as will the U-joints,
wich is my first guess but I had a similar problem
years ago, just didnt viberate as bad as you describe
and it tokk me a while to finally find that the rubber
on the tranny mount had seperated from the steel.
While under the car it wasnt visable. With some help
from what was at that time "an older mechanic", he put
the car on jack stands so he could inspect underneath
while I went thru the gears-- he could see the
movement of the tranny mount and a new one fixed my
problem. You might use a pry bar while nspectiing the
drive train etc.One last thing to check is the nut on
the main shaft of the rear end- it was an automati but
the car vibertaed bad when you let off the gas- again
a non Tiger problem but Im sure any thing hat fixes
your problem is worth inspecting. Good luck, TTT