Re: [Tigers] Tigers Hydrogen Fuel

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Hydrogen Fuel
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:45:16 -0500
I would hate to make a bet that Brazil's alcohol system is working as well
as is stated.  Many governments subsidize things to make jobs for their
people and won't own up to it. (Japanese cars)  In other words they rob
Peter to pay Paul.  There is an alcohol refinery here close to St. Louis
that is huge.  I can guarantee that it isn't financed solely by private
industry, has government money, and isn't holding its own.  I will also
guarantee you that in 10 years it will be empty when the fad is over and the
government money dries up. I worry that government programs will use 10
gallons of oil to make 2 gallons of Ethanol out of garbage and then brag
about how clean it is.  There is no free lunch and all of this talk is moot
when we have oil in ANWR province and off the coast of our country and all
we have to do is go get it. -- Bill --

Ethanol from garbage makes total sense. Ripping up thousands of acres of
rainforest, old-growth forest, or re-purposing farmland to take
advantage of government subsidies for making ethanol from the sugar in
corn... not so much.

The reason that Brazil was able to put together an effective ethanol
economy was (at least in part) that they could grow sugarcane, which has
much higher sugar content than corn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

Theo