Re: [Tigers] Engine Woes

To: "Shaun Laughy" <tigerv8@rogers.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Woes
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 22:35:24 -0500
Shaun:

All I can say is that I feel your pain.  I had some dipsh*t pull out in
front of me several years ago while in the Tiger and, although I didn't hit
him, I somehow ended up with a split oil line!  I, too, would have
cheerfully killed the guy!!!

Now that things have calmed down a bit for you, let me throw my .02 worth
in.  When you went off the road under heavy braking, you most likely jarred
something loose on the exhaust.  I realize that you say there appears to be
no exhaust issues.  However, I've fought a slight exhaust leak on my Tiger
for years and, even though the exhaust system looks to be in perfect
condition, I keep having a recurring slight leak under a load at the donut
between the downpipe and the manifold and it sounds like exactly what you've
described.  Chances are great that you probably dragged one of the exhaust
pipes on something and it disturbed the system just enough to cause a minor
leak.  I know it's frustrating, but it should be fairly easy to fix.

You say the car was running flawlessly before but that now your carb is
spitting back at you under acceleration.  This problem, if it is indeed a
problem, is more than likely completely unrelated to the incident of today.
When you say it's "spitting back," are you saying that the engine is
coughing and sputtering under acceleration and it appears that the carb is
blowing excess fuel back, or are you just seeing some fuel spray higher in
the barrels?  If it is the latter, chances are it's been doing that for a
long time and you've never noticed it, especially if you don't run the car
with the air cleaner off very often.  Just out of curiosity, what kind of
carb are you running?  I've got a Holley 465 cfm carb on mine and I've had
an intermittent problem with the squirter tube (for lack of a better term)
on the front barrels coming loose, causing fuel to spray out all over the
top of the barrel openings under acceleration.

The bottom line is that I personally don't see how the two problems (the
noise and the carb spit-back) can be related, given the situation.  If your
oil pan is dented as someone else suggested, you'd see the dent and/or the
marks left by whatever dented it.  I'd advise taking a good close look at
the bottom of the car and see if you can detect any points of the car that
may have come into contact with the ground.  Again, I can't see how any
internal engine damage could have been done, given what you've told us.  I
really think you're going to find that it's only a slight exhaust leak.
Best of luck and take care.

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE