Re: [Tigers] Another Exhausting Tiger Question

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Another Exhausting Tiger Question
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:32:08 -0700
Mark,
  I can't answer your question, but did want to encourage you about your
choice for stock exhaust manifolds.  I can't account for the flow of the
manifolds that came on the Tiger, but a Mopar Magazine did a test on a
mildly built 360.  At 5,000+ RPM, $800, TTI headers added all of 10 HP
verses stock manifolds - from a lowly 318 no less. At lower RPMs it was even
less. Might I add that prized HiPo 340 cast manifolds only showed about a 4
HP gain.  Again, this is no guarantee that the same holds true for a small
block Ford, but I'd say the "possibility" exists.

  One thing that I'm curious about is the manifolds that ultimately found
their way onto the Tiger were selected from what was available in  (I assume
to be) late 1963/early 1964. The small block can out in 1962 as a 221. So, I
doubt there were too many variations available when George Boskoff made his
selection. A lot of other manifolds have been cast since then.  While most
seem wider and thicker I'd be curious to see if better flowing manifolds
(and better positioned outlets) would work from later cars. Who knows?

 I have used a die grinder to clean up manifolds as far as one can reach.  I
then took a cheap, thin drain snake, duct taped a piece of abrasive cloth in
a rolled fashion to it at about mid-point. Chucked in a hand drill on one
end, run through the manifold and guided by a gloved hand on the other end,
I was able to manipulate the abrasive and I'm sure made some improvement.

 Anyway, these are just some ideas I've had over using headers and the
typical issues that arise from using them.

Tom Witt
Checked by AVG.
1:25 PM