[Tigers] Motor mounts

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Motor mounts
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:18:37 EDT
With a new set of motor mounts in hand and my engine on a stand I  decided to
do some measuring to be sure the new mounts would not be  reversed.
I started with the original mounts still on the engine....the one  marked
"LH" was on the left side-passenger side. The "RH" was on the right  side.  All
of the measurements were from the center of the large bolt on  the motor mount
to the facing of the bellhousing.  These are rough because  there is a little
slop in the some of the holes where the mount bolts  to the engine.
Original set up:   right side 12.375"
                           left  side    12.375"
I then reversed the mounts to the opposite sides and  got;
                            right  side 12.25"
                            left  side    12.00"
Using the new mounts:
            First  measurement:        right side   12.75"
                                                   left side    12.50"
            New  mounts reversed:   right side 12.375"
                                                     left side   12.25"

I repeated all of the above on an engine dolly drilled for a Ford  small
block and got essentially the same results.  So on my engine and  my mounts I
came
to this conclusion.....by swapping the original mounts to  opposite sides,
the engine would have been pushed rearward by anywhere from 0.0" -0.375" .  Not
the great difference that I  expected by someone mistakenly installing the
mounts incorrectly.
The difference was so slight that it wouldn't surprise me that some  of the
mounts could have originally come from the factory in a reversed position  or
with 2 lefts or 2 rights.  "Hey Joe, I ran out of left side mounts.  What do I
do?"  "Just use right side mounts.  They're all the same  anyway."
And to add a little to the confusion....the mounting holes on the  left and
right side the engine are in different positions.  The mounting  holes on the
left side are more rearward by approximately 1.25".
Mark L

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.