Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:29:31 -0700
Yep, look at all the radiators... aren't they mostly black? And a thin
coat of paint would seem to offer very little int he way of heat
transfer resistance. Sean, you out there? How about doing a quick and
dirty analysis of  a painted aluminum surface vs an unpainted one?  I'll
look to see if I can find the applicable properties of paint for thermal
emissivity (sp?).  Black bodies do radiate better than polished ones.
Rough is better than polished because of the increased surface area as
was mentioned.

mayf