Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:05:03 -0700
John, Sandy, and others, I have been glancing at this thread and
something is missing here... data and analysis.  There are three
components to the cooling of the engine: conduction of the heat via the
vater, convection of the heat from the surfaces and indeed, radiation.
I did an analysis on the engine in my land speed race car which included
all three elements. I made the analysis because I wanted to put the
radiator in a water tank in the passenger side of the cockpit, and I
need to size the tank dimensions. I found a lot of interesting things
from doing that analysis: convection plays a major role in cooling and
that comes from the surfaces of the head, intake manifold and sides of
the block, those areas where air can circulate aound the engine.
Radiation also played a part but to a lesser amount. Conduction via the
water was still a big player, but not to the exclusion of the others.
All three are needed.  Of course, when the horsepower is increased
beyond that which the radiator can recover then the motor will run hot.
The radiator, via the thermostat is the controller of the heat in the
engine.  Take for example an engine run in very cold climates... they
will hardly warm up because of the heat being carried away via
convection and radiation.  Needless to say, the system needs to be well
designed to do the job at hand.

Interesting stuff...

good thread and I hope it goes farther. I'd like to see some data rather
than anecdotal stipulations.

mayf