Re: [Tigers] BMW Gas (NOT Gasoline)

To: Scott Hutchinson <shutchin@netjets.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] BMW Gas (NOT Gasoline)
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:09:20 -0600
In one of last year's Mythbusters episodes, they noted that the
Hindenburg was covered with a two-layer finish, the first of which
contained iron oxide and the second layer contained aluminum particles,
which (in their hypothesis) caused a massive thermite type reaction when
it was sparked. They built a model and lit it off in grand fashion,
although I forget if the finish mixture they used for that demonstration
was close to the real thing.

Theo