Re: [Tigers] FW: Lead Weights

To: mrlau@charter.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] FW: Lead Weights
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:07:33 EDT
Here's an interesting one on lead paint......In Vermont lead laws  were
passed that dealt with lead paint in apt buildings (let the home owners'  kids
fend
for themselves;-)  I got licensed as a "lead abatement"  handler.  This was
not to remove lead paint, but to "control" it in apts  through various methods.
 The benefit for landlords is that if you follow  these rules you can never
be sued by renters for lead paint in the  building.
What I thought most interesting is that kids weren't being poisoned  from
lead paint inside of the building.  Most were getting it from the  earth
surrounding the building.  As wooden houses were scraped and  repainted over
the years
the lead built to high levels in the first 10' of earth  surrounding the
house. The kids playing in that dirt got the problems.  The  kid chewing paint
on
the windowsill made a nice graphic, but was found to be  extremely rare.
One remediation method VT has used is that plastic has to be put  down when
scraping the exterior of an apt building. When done, roll up  the plastic with
the scraped lead paint contained in it and throw it in the  rubbish. That last
part is what I couldn't understand.  I thought if it was  so dangerous that
something else should be done with it.
I guess VT is waiting for Calif. to tell them what to do with the  buckets of
paint contained in the plastic
Also, VT has banned small lead sinkers (small enough for birds and  fish to
swallow), but is still allowing lead over a certain  weight.
Mark

deal here.