Re: [Tigers] remote thermometers

To: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] remote thermometers
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:39:49 -0300
Hey Bugz;

I like your sense of humor!

Regarding IR Thermometers, I bought mine several years ago when I
supercharged my MGB (I know, I know)
and managed to overheat the engine regularly, along with blowing head
gaskets, melting pistons, and fouling
parking lots and driveways with greenpuke. Cheap knock-offs were not yet
available, so I dropped $200 on one from 3M.

It is not easy to get consistent readings with these things, particularly
since you have to move fast if you want to get  readings
from multiple locations each time you measure. They are "distance
sensitive", and many places (like the bottom rad outlet) are not
easy to reach, so a correction calculation for distance needs to be made.

Also, I have been discouraged to get readings sometimes 20 degrees +/-  from
spots as close as the brass temp sender body, and the area
of the intake manifold it screws into. Moving on to the thermostat housing,
the rad intake tube base just past the end of the hose, and the
rad fins themselves, often generates readings 20 degrees apart. When you are
trying see the results of a change like a different fan, or a
spoiler on the bottom of the rad when you are looking for a 5 -10F change,
its pretty frustrating.

Consistency is a necessity when doing these evaluations, and I wonder if any
of you who have one of these IR thermos have the same
experience?

???? Dave