Re: [Tigers] How hot is hot (further discussion)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] How hot is hot (further discussion)
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:14:09 -0500
Andy, I think you have a real good point.  Just because a 180 degree
thermostat is in the system doesn't mean that the temperature is 180 at any
given point.  It just means that the stat opens at that temperature and
someplace else in the system it could easily be 210 or so.  Has anyone ever
used a mechanical gauge to see how the temperature compares to the
electrical gauge?  My Alger had a stock Alpine radiator with no shroud and
it didn't overheat except the time I was in a parade with it shortly after I
finished the car and thought if I retarded the timing it would be better.
Wrong idea and as soon as I advanced the timing it was fixed. I did however
have the fan close to the radiator. I had a stewart warner guage and I
remember 210 also. -- Bill --

We've had the "Water Wetter" discussion on this forum before and, once
again,
I'll register my opinion.  First of all, I respect Robert's opinion and
experiences, but I must say that mine differ.  I have run it in both my
Tiger
and my vintage racing Alpine at various times with absolutely no change in
temperature.  My experience tells me it's a waste of money.  It's much more
important to make sure you have a clean, healthy cooling system.  For my
money, Water Wetter is not a magic fix.

As someone mentioned in a recent e-mail on the cooling subject, air flow is
the #1 problem with Tigers with regards to cooling.  For those of us who
want
to retain the stock appearance and equipment, we just have to live with it.
I, too, however remember having read that the optimal running temp for a
small
block Ford is 210 degrees.  My Tiger seems very happy between 200 to 210 and
never pukes when I shut it off.

Is it just me or am I not alone in thinking that the temp gauge face design
may have something to do with raising owner's stress levels about how hot is
too hot?  Most manufactures' cars run about half way up on the temp gauge
and
they call that the normal operating temp (the early Mustangs & Falcons come
mind...they have temp gauges but they are not gradiated).  However, not only
did Rootes see fit to assign gradiated numbers on the gauge to represent
temp
values, most of our cars usually run a little right of center, or on the
higer
side of what is universally accepted as the "normal operating temp"
position.
In reality, however, it's not abnormal for a Tiger and it is within the
normal
operating range of a small block Ford.  So, are we really overheating?  I
wonder how we would all feel if the Tigers had a temperatute "idiot light"
instead of a gauge.  Would the overheating issue be as big a deal as it is
us?  Just food for thought.  I'm interested to read other opinions on this.
Whadaya'll think???

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE