Re: [Tigers] How hot is hot ?

To: dave@munroe.ca
Subject: Re: [Tigers] How hot is hot ?
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:28:07 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/2008 8:03:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dave@munroe.ca writes:

One of  the reasons why I worry about my engine overheating ( 225- 230F) is
the  noticeable drop in oil pressure.

When you did your oil temp testing on  horsepower gain, did your FF oil
pressure drop with a rise in oil  temp?

Which, I guess, brings us to another (but, linked) discussion: "optimal"  oil
pressure ;-)

Yes, we did see drop in oil pressure. Idle pressure, post race, was in the
10 psi range with about 25-30 psi at anything over 3000 rpm...which was plenty
in that application, evidently, as we went two years without an engine
failure.  When the motor was taken down, bearing wear was normal. Keep in mind,
this
is  just a VW motor, air cooled, low(er) rpm etc.

The other thing that I didn't consider, when I posted earlier, was  excessive
piston/piston crown heat, which can lead to power loss...in some  cases,
TOTAL power loss...I was thinking more of elevated engine heat in the  intended
operating range.

deal here.